A rebound relationship is one that occurs quickly after a breakup. People often get into rebound relationships because they are trying to mask the pain of a broken heart. However, we have to look at the entire picture. These relationships may numb your pain, but they will delay your healing.
When your heart is broken, you are automatically in a vulnerable state. This puts you in a position to be emotionally and sexually manipulated. Vulnerable and needy feelings are natural, but you must fight the temptations to be involved in a relationship, because you will be manipulated. Your heart will be open to anything that will mask your pain and help you feel better.
Here are some tips to help you avoid getting into a rebound relationship:
1. Evaluate the relationship. Take time to evaluate what went wrong in the last relationship and what you can do better for the next one
2. Evaluate yourself. Look in the mirror and judge yourself, because none of us are perfect in any relationship. No failure is based on one person. We’re all participators of our own pain and problems.
3. Take your time and heal. Don’t rush!
4. Learn to be happy alone.
5. Learn to seek out the core issues of your pain.
6. Get some space. There is no need to turn to someone else to replace and fulfill something in you that only God can do.
7. Forgive. Forgiveness brings closure and cleansing to your heart. If you rush into another relationship, you are not cleansing or bringing closure.
Remember, rebound relationships are an attempt to seek a quick fix to a problem that cannot be instantly solved. They are never fair to you or the other person.
Finally, if you meet someone fresh out of a relationship, do yourself and them a favor and give them time… a lot of time… and do not rush into a relationship, because it will leave their heart broken and yours as well. If you would like more help read Relationship Coaching: Healing before love and 8 signs you’re not ready for a relationship.
Here’s what I want you to do next:-)
I’m glad you read this far, because it means you’ve learned a lot of good information that will help you when put it into practice. Here’s what I want you to do next …
- If this article is doing it for you, click the re-tweet button or facebook share below to share it with others.
- Share your comments below.
- Sign up below for my free 20 day audio series and K4L newsletter for additional content to help improve your life, relationship and career.